WEATHER ALERT – U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras (November 13, 2020)
EVENT: Tropical Depression Thirty-One is expected to continue strengthening as it approaches the coast of northeastern Honduras and Nicaragua. In light of the additional inclement weather, the Government of Honduras has extended the national state of emergency and red alert for all departments across Honduras. Dangerous wind and storm surge are likely to impact portions of Nicaragua and Honduras beginning the evening of Sunday, November 13, 2020 and heavy rainfall is expected to continue through Wednesday, November 18, 2020. American citizens in Honduras are advised to continue monitoring the weather and take the necessary precautions.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- Seek secure shelter.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit (ready.gov)
- Visit the National Hurricane Center (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/) for updated storm tracking information.
- Monitor guidelines issued by local authorities (http://www.copeco.gob.hn) and local media for updates.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.