WEATHER ALERT – U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras (November 5, 2020)
EVENT: The Government of Honduras has declared a red alert for all departments of Honduras due to Tropical Storm Eta. Expect heavy rains through Monday, November 9, 2020, with possible landslides, flooding, power outages, and difficult travel conditions across the northern departments of Honduras.
Due to weather conditions, flights departing and arriving from Honduras’ four international airports have been suspended Thursday, November 5, 2020, pending further closures per government decision. American citizens affected by these closures should contact their airline directly to reschedule.
Road and Bridge Closures:
The Government of Honduras continues to monitor the condition of roads and bridges affected by Eta. Flooding is wide-spread across San Pedro Sula, La Lima, Tela, La Ceiba, and the Bajo Aguán region.
- All bridges along CA-13 are closed.
- The Saopin and Reino de Suecia bridges in La Ceiba are closed.
- Circulation in the first two avenues of Comayagüela has been reduced to the first avenue only.
- CA-5 at Chamelecón in route to San Pedro Sula is being cleared of debris and circulation has been re-established to one lane.
- CA-6’s exit to Danlí is closed at Colonia Villa Nueva, Sector 7 is being cleared of debris and circulation has been re-established to one lane.
- Bridges between Tegucigalpa and Comayagüela have been re-opened by the Honduran National Police at this time, but could be closed again if the Choluteca River experiences additional increases in water level.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- Seek secure shelter.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Visit the National Hurricane Center (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/) for updated storm tracking information.
- Monitor guidelines issued by local authorities (http://www.copeco.gob.hn) and local media for updates.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.