WEATHER ALERT – U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras (November 3, 2020)
EVENT: Hurricane Eta has strengthened to a Category 4 storm as it approaches Honduras’ Caribbean coast.
Through the evening of Friday, November 6, 2020, torrential rainfall from Eta may cause catastrophic flash flooding, river flooding, and landslides. The National Hurricane Center predicts Eta to generate rainfall amounts of 15 to 25 inches over Honduras, with isolated areas receiving up to 35 inches.
In coastal areas of the hurricane warning area, storm surge may cause water levels to reach as high as 14-21 feet above normal tide levels.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- Monitor the National Hurricane Center for updates (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/)
- Follow guidelines issued by local authorities (http://www.copeco.gob.hn)
- Prepare an emergency supply kit (ready.gov).
- Avoid traveling while heavy rains occur as roads can quickly become extremely unsafe.
- If caught out traveling:
- Seek secure shelter.
- Do not attempt to cross bodies of moving water.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444