WEATHER ALERT – U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras (November 1, 2020)
EVENT: The Government of Honduras has issued a hurricane watch for areas along the Caribbean coast of Honduras. Tropical Storm Eta is currently approximately 600 kilometers off the coast of Gracias a Dios and is expected to strengthen to a hurricane before it reaches the Caribbean coasts of Central American countries early Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
American citizens in the departments of Gracias a Dios, Atlántida, Colón, Yoro, Cortés, Olancho, and the Bay Islands are advised to prepare for possible inclement weather in the form of storm surge, hurricane-force winds, and heavy rainfall. Heavy rainfall predicted through Thursday, November 5, 2020, may lead to flash flooding and river flooding in affected areas.
American citizens in the departments of Santa Bárbara, Comayagua, Francisco Morazán, and El Paraíso are advised to remain alert and continue monitoring weather reports.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- Monitor the National Hurricane Center for updates (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/).
- Follow guidelines issued by local authorities (http://www.copeco.gob.hn).
- Seek secure shelter.
- Inform a friend or family member of travel plans over the upcoming holiday.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit (ready.gov).
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.