WEATHER ALERT: Hurricane Iota – U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras (November 16, 2020)
EVENT: Hurricane Iota has strengthened to a Category 5 storm as it approaches Honduras’ Caribbean coast. The National Hurricane Center predicts Iota to generate rainfall amounts of 10 to 20 inches over Honduras, with isolated areas receiving up to 30 inches.
Expect heavy rain through Thursday, November 19, 2020, with possible landslides, river and flash flooding, power outages, and difficult travel conditions across the northern departments of Honduras.
The Government of Honduras has issued an evacuation order for the following departments:
- Gracias a Dios
- Francisco Morazán
- El Paraíso
- All areas previously impacted by Hurricane Eta
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- Seek secure shelter.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit (ready.gov).
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Visit the National Hurricane Center for updated storm tracking information.
- Monitor guidelines issued by local authorities and local media for updates.
U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Tel. (504) 2238-5114
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.