U.S. Citizen Services FAQs

For information on the process and fees involved with getting a U.S. passport, please click here.

Under Honduran law, children under age 21 who are traveling unaccompanied or with only one parent must have written, notarized permission to travel from the non-traveling parent(s).

  • If notarizing a permission letter in Honduras, the letter should be notarized by the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy or by a Honduran notary public.
  • If notarizing a permission letter in the United States, the letter should be apostilled by the U.S. state registrar where the notary is registered.  Honduran immigration authorities may also accept permission letters notarized at a Honduran embassy or consulate in the United States.
  • If there is no second parent with legal custody of the child (e.g., the second parent is deceased, one parent has sole custody, etc.), travelers can provide copies of the relevant paperwork such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc.

Please review the information regarding visas found here.

Securing a green card involves first getting a visa.  Please review the information regarding visas found here.

You can register the birth of your child in Honduras by applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.  Please click here for more information.

We are sorry to hear about your loss.  Please click here for more information.

You do not have to make another appointment. If you are bringing in additional documentation for a previous appointment, you can come to the Embassy on any regular business day between 8:00 and 11:30 a.m.

When you send us documents via email to usahonduras@state.gov, you will get a response confirming we received your documents and/or providing instructions for further requirements within two to three business days. If you do not receive a response, please email us again.

The U.S. Embassy can notarize documents for use in the United States. Please visit our page on Notary services for more information and hours.

The U.S. Embassy does not provide authentication or apostille services. However, we encourage you to read our page with information on authentications and apostilles for Honduran documents, for guidance on where to go with your documents.

The U.S. Embassy does not provide document translation services. If you must have a translated document, you must find private translation services before bringing the document to the Embassy.

U.S. citizens who wish to visit Honduras for less than 90 days do not need to obtain a visa.  However, passports still must have at least three months of validity.


U.S. citizens who wish to visit Honduras for less than 90 days do not need to obtain a visa.  However, passports still must have at least three months of validity.  You may want to carry a photocopy of your passport with you when your passport is being kept for safekeeping by the cruise lines to eliminate the potential for loss or theft of passports while shopping and touring.

If you wish to stay longer than 90 days in Honduras, you must apply for a residence permit. Please visit Honduran Immigration page for more information.

Overstaying your visa is taken seriously by the Honduran authorities.  If you overstay your visa, you will be fined upon departure.  Fines vary according to the length of time you have overstayed. If you have overstayed and you are fined, you must apply for your next visa Honduras Immigration offices. You may also be banned from re-entering Honduras for a period of time as follows:

  • Overstay 1-15 days: No ban.
  • Overstay from 16-90 days: banned for up to three months.
  • Overstay for more than 90 days i.e. from the 91st day: banned for up to six months.

(Overstay time and bans may vary according to Honduras Immigration office)

It is recommended that you have three-month validity beyond date of entry into Honduras.  In other words, we recommend that your passport not expire in less than three months.  Please click here for more information.

You can find country specific information about Honduras at the U.S. Department’s website. You can also find more information at Honduras’s official tourism page.

You can enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) of the U.S. State Department by clicking here.

You can also download the Smart Traveler app by clicking here.

U.S. citizens can check visa requirements for other countries by visiting the U.S. State Department’s web site.

You can obtain a certified copy of your U.S. birth certificate from the Vital Statistics office of the state you were born. Click here for the list of Vital Statistics office in the U.S.

You can request a certified copy of your Consular Report of Birth Aboard from the U.S. Department of State. Further information can be found here.

You can apply for a Citizenship Certificate at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The application can only be done in the U.S. For further information please visit the USCIS web site.

You can only obtain the apostille certification of a U.S. document from the state that issued the document. Clicking here to find a list of competent authorities from which you can obtain an apostille certification in the U.S. Additional information on this topic can be found at the State Department’s website.

U.S. driver licenses can only be renewed in the U.S. Please check your state requirements for renewing your license. Each state has different regulations on driver license renewals.

Due to Privacy Act, it is not possible to share the information of U.S. citizens with third parties. You can try searching your relative/friend on the internet. If you are searching this person for legal issues, you can try getting a lawyer in the U.S. who can help you with the search. To find a lawyer in the U.S., click here for American Bar Association’s web site.

For all questions about importing goods to Honduras, consult a lawyer or import/export professional.  Consular officers cannot advise on these matters.

Information on how to obtain U.S. criminal records can be found here.

U.S. citizens may obtain fingerprint cards from their local police departments in the United States or at FBI.gov.  Local police authorities in Honduras may be able to provide fingerprinting services. The U.S. Embassy and the U.S. Consular Agency in Honduras do not provide fingerprinting services.

In order to find out your Social Security number, you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in San Jose, Costa Rica.  For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: US Embassy in Costa Rica.

To file for benefits, you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in San Jose, Costa Rica.  For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: US Embassy in Costa Rica.

You can get an can get an unofficial statement online (without employer information) by going to the Social Security Administration website.  If you want an official statement with employer information, you need to fill out SSA-7050 to get your Social Security earning information.

You can find information about voting at Federal Voting Assistance Program webpage  and also at the Embassy’s voting page.

To file taxes overseas, you can refer to IRS Publication 54 and U.S. Tax Information for Overseas Americans. You can also consult an attorney to get information about filing taxes overseas.  The list of lawyers in Honduras.

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a “Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments” FinCEN 105 (PDF 222 KB) (former CF 4790).

If assistance is required, a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer can help with filling out the form.

Please be aware, if persons traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency.

For example, if one person is carrying $5,000 and the other has $6,000, they have a total of $11, 000 in their possession and must report it on a FinCEN 105. If a person or family fails to declare their monetary instruments in amounts of over $10,000, their monetary instrument(s) may be subject to forfeiture and could result to civil and criminal penalties.

The FinCEN 105 (PDF 222 KB) can be obtained prior to traveling or when going through CBP.

You can find further information at U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Its recommended that you get a letter from your doctor stating you need the medication explaining why you need to take it, the dose (amount) you need along with the original prescription. The letter should be also in Spanish as some customs officer may not speak English.