Name Change and Correcting Passport Errors

To make a name change or correct information on your passport, you need to make an appointment at the U.S Embassy in Tegucigalpa or the Consular Agency in San Pedro Sula . Some examples below where this process is appropriate:

  • When there is a change in your identifying information, such as name change due to marriage or by court order (please bring English translation of the court order)
  • To extend the validity of certain previously limited passports
  • To correct a Passport Services printing error.

You must fill out form DS-5504 online by using the passport wizard, print, and signThis form should only be used for making a data change for a previously issued, currently valid U.S. passport within one year from the date of issue. No fee is required if the date of issue is within one year. If it is MORE than one year since the date of issue, you must submit your application form using the online Passport Wizard and pay the applicable fees.  If you arrive with inaccurate or incomplete forms, or insufficient funds to pay the fees, you will be asked to reschedule your appointment.

You will need the below documents to complete the process:

  • Application form DS-5504Do not forget to sign the application form.
    • You must provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in accordance with 26 U.S.C. 6039E.  Failure to provide information requested on the form, including your SSN, may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.
    • If you have never been issued an SSN, enter 000-00-0000 on the application form. You will need to apply for an SSN when you receive your new passport.
  • Current passport to be replaced
  • Documentation required for the change (see instruction on page 2 of the form)
  • Note: there is no fee for a limited passport book replacement if the applicant brings a letter signed by the Consular Officer.
  • One passport photograph. Photographs that do not meet the specified requirements will be rejectedYou must remove glasses for your passport photo, except in rare, medically-documented circumstances.

Where to apply?