Marriage Information

If you are getting married in Honduras, you must meet the requirements prescribed by Honduran law. The following is an unofficial translation of several documents issued by Tegucigalpa City Hall on marriage requirements in Honduras.

For further information, please visit the office of the municipality of the place where you will get married, since some requirements may vary.

  1. Photocopy of ID of the contracting parties
  2. Photocopy and original ID of two witnesses over 21 years of age. Witnesses must not be relatives of the contracting parties.
  3. Single certificate valid for no more than 3 months. Issued by the Honduran National Registry in the place of birth of the contracting parties (applies to Hondurans).
  4. Proof of relationship valid for no more than 3 months. Issued by the Honduran National Registry in the place of birth of the contracting parties (applies to Hondurans).
  5. Sworn statement of assets of each spouse, on bond paper, legal size, without any formality (applies to both spouses, regardless of their nationality).
  6. Original prenuptial medical certificate of the couple (if they already live together, they do not need it). Some municipalities may request a) Pregnancy test if the female fiancé is pregnant. (With seal and original signature of the laboratory) or b) Original birth certificates of the children, when they belong to both fiancés.
  7. Proof of Criminal Record. It is requested at the Criminal Records Office. Please visit: (applies to Hondurans or Honduran residents).
  8. Notarial Act of Economic Regime. The contracting parties must choose a regime to be incorporated into the marriage certificate. There are three regimes: community of property system, joint venture, or separation of property.
  1. Parents or legal guardians must be present and bring their ID’s. When one of the parents is deceased, a death certificate should be presented.
  2. Parents or legal guardians must provide written consent.
  3. Birth certificates or, a legally declared age certification.
  1. Photocopy of passport.
  2. Two or more witnesses of legal age, able to testify that they can give sworn testimony of the single marital status of the contracting non-national, before the competent official or authorized notary.
  3. A Single Statement (known locally as a Certificado de Soltería). This document must be notarized by American Citizen Services at the Embassy.
  4. Apostilled criminal record translated into Spanish. Records should be requested in the U.S. You may find more information here.
  5. Original divorce or widowhood certificate apostilled and translated into Spanish (if applicable).

NOTE: American Citizens Services Unit cannot certify or authenticate any vital record.  These records must be certified with an apostille by the Secretary of State of the U.S. state where the document was issued.  Please review the information regarding Notarial Services.  The American Citizen Services Unit does not provide translation services.