Frequently Asked Questions

Please see below answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

You can find information on how to request a U.S. birth certificate at the CDC website. All U.S. birth certificates are issued by each individual state, and the U.S. Embassy cannot request copies on your behalf.

Passport fees are slightly different depending on whether the applicant is a minor or an adult, or if they are applying for the first time or renewing/replacing a previous passport. Please read the complete list of passport fees.

The easiest way to make an appointment for a passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is online. Please follow the application process for your passport appointment or CRBA appointment, to ensure your application can be processed in a timely manner.

Different forms are required depending on the type of application. However, you must print all forms complete them, and bring them to the interview. Follow the instructions for a U.S. passport application or a CRBA application carefully, to make sure you have everything you need.

All payments for U.S. passport and CRBA applications are done at the Embassy or Consular Agency in person (you cannot pay online or at a bank ahead of time):

  • If you apply at the Embassy in Tegucigalpa: You may pay the fee in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Honduran lempiras. If you pay in cash you must bring exact change. We accept credit and debit cards.
  • If you apply at the Consular Agency in San Pedro Sula: You must pay the fee in the Honduran lempira equivalent, using exact change. We cannot accept credit/debit cards or personal checks.

You do not have to make another appointment. If you are bringing in additional documentation for a previous appointment, you can come to the Embassy on any regular business day between 8:00 and 11:30 a.m.

When you send us documents via email to, you will get a response confirming we received your documents and/or providing instructions for further requirements within two to three business days. If you do not receive a response, please email us again.

The U.S. Embassy can notarize documents for use in the United States. Please visit our page on Notary services for more information and hours.

The U.S. Embassy does not provide authentication or apostille services. However, we encourage you to read our page with information on authentications and apostilles for Honduran documents, for guidance on where to go with your documents.

The U.S. Embassy does not provide document translation services. If you must have a translated document, you must find private translation services before bringing the document to the Embassy.

Unfortunately, the U.S. Embassy cannot provide financial benefits (such as scholarships, money for food, or other forms of free monetary assistance) to private citizens.

The length of time a U.S. citizen may remain in Honduras is exclusively under the purview of Honduran immigration authorities. U.S. citizen children of Honduran parents can be authorized an extension of stay; please contact the Honduran immigration authority for further information on the specific requirements of this process.

The specific immigration requirements for dual-citizens, particularly for minors, are exclusively under the purview of Honduran immigration authorities. Please contact the Honduran immigration authority for further information on the specific requirements.

Property disputes in Honduras are solely under the jurisdiction of Honduran civil courts, and the U.S. Embassy cannot provide legal counsel or intervene in the Honduran judicial process to influence the outcome of your dispute.

Check the U.S. Citizen Services page for information on schedules for services to the public.