Emergency Financial Assistance


If a U.S. citizen is robbed and/or loses their money in Honduras, the easiest way to send them money is by depositing cash in their bank account for them to withdraw with their ATM card.

If this option is not possible, they may receive money via Western Union. You can start at the Western Union website, or visit a Western Union agency location in person.

In genuine emergencies, when all other options have been exhausted, the U.S. Embassy can assist  in getting cash to a U.S. citizen in Honduras by utilizing an OCS (Overseas Citizen Services) Trust. All arrangements for the transfer of funds into an OCS trust must be made through the United States. Please see the following for information on how to get the process started:

M-F 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time
From within the United States: 1-888-407-4747

When a U.S. citizen encounters an emergency financial situation abroad, the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) can establish a trust account in the citizen’s name to forward funds overseas.  Upon receipt of funds, OCS will transfer the money to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate for disbursement to the recipient.

The recipient must contact the Embassy directly to arrange receipt.  The fee for establishing a trust account is US$ 30.  The recipient’s name and overseas location (city, country) must be provided with the fund transfer or the transfer will be delayed.  The Embassy or Consulate normally disburses funds in the foreign country’s currency and not in U.S. dollars.

Trust fund transfers are a one time service, except in specific, pre-approved circumstances.  Funds sent during non-business hours may not be processed until the next business day.  Questions can be directed to OCS at 1-888-407-4747.

There are three methods of transmitting funds to OCS for transfer overseas: Western Union (see below), express courier service, or U.S. mail.  Western Union is the fastest, and U.S. mail is the slowest.

Funds sent via Western Union are generally processed and available for disbursement overseas within 24 hours during the business week.  This is usually the fastest method of sending funds to OCS.

Funds can be sent one of three ways.

  1. Call Western Union’s Quick Collect© service at 1-800-634-3422.
  2. Log onto the Western Union website.
  3. Visit a Western Union agent location.  In most cases, funds sent via Western Union arrive at OCS within 30 minutes.

Call Western Union’s Quick Collect©:

  • You will need a MasterCard or Visa credit card to authorize a Western Union fund transfer by phone.
  • You will be asked for a “code city,” which is “Overseasemergency, DC.”
  • You will be asked for a “Pay To” name which is “Department of State.”
  • You will be asked for an account number: please use your phone number.
  • Tell the operator to put the name and location of the citizen you are sending money to in the reference field to avoid a delay in the fund transfer.

On the Internet, only MasterCard and Visa are accepted:

  • Click on Make payment
  • Choose your payment type and biller:”Other Billers.”
  • Select Code City “Overseas Citizen Services.”
  • Follow the prompts to register.

Some states place restrictions on the use of QuickCollect© by phone or the Internet.  Western Union can inform you about the states that have these restrictions.

Go in Person, with cash, to any Western Union agent location:

This is the least expensive Western Union method of sending money.  To find the closest location, call 1-800-325-6000.  You will need to complete a blue payment form which will ask for the same information requested above.  The State Department’s US$ 30 processing fee must be included in the total amount sent by Western Union.  Failure to include the fee will result in the money being deducted from the amount intended for the U.S. citizen recipient.  Note Western Union also charges an additional fee for its services.