Death of a U.S. Citizen


American Citizens Services can assist family and friends in the event of the death of a U.S. citizen in Honduras.  We can act as liaison in arranging the disposition of remains and help with forwarding personal effects.  The family or legal representative is responsible for all funeral home arrangements, repatriation costs for the remains and personal effects (if applicable).  We will work with any funeral home selected by the family to ensure proper documentation for repatriation of remains to the United States.  We maintain a list of funeral homes that are familiar with the procedure.

When reporting a death to us, please tell us, if possible the deceased person’s name, date and place of birth, passport number and date and place of death. You may reach us during normal working hours (7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. weekdays) at (504) 2238-5114. The Emergency duty officer can be reached after working hours and on weekends by telephoning (504) 2238-5114.

Even if no assistance is needed in making funeral arrangements, the death of a U.S. citizen, whether resident or tourist in Honduras, should be reported to the U.S. Embassy so that a Consular Report of Death Abroad can be issued and reported to all concerning government agencies.

List of Funeral Homes (PDF 116 KB)

Consular Report of Death Abroad is an administrative document issued by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that provides essential facts about the death, disposition of remains, and custody of the personal estate of the deceased U.S. citizen. It is based on the foreign death certificate, and cannot be completed until the foreign death certificate is issued. It is necessary to settle legal and estate matters in the United States.

Twenty sealed copies of the Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad, issued at the time of death, will be provided to you. The original will be sent to the Department of State for permanent filing. There is no fee for this service; however, the following documents must be submitted in original to the Consular Section along with downloading and printing the CRODA questionnaire (PDF 17 KB):

  • Death Certificate from the Honduran Civil Registry.
  • Medical certificate from the attending physician or hospital stating the cause of death.
  • U.S. Passport of the deceased.
  • If applicable, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Naturalization Certificate for the deceased.

If in the future you find that you need additional copies, they can be obtained for a fee of fifty dollars. If you need additional copies, please send a written request together with a check or money order made payable to the Department of State to the following address:

U.S. Department of State
Passport Services Vital Records Section
1111 19th St., NW, Suite 510
Washington, D.C. 20522-1705

A Consular Mortuary Certificate is required when the deceased is being transported to the United States or in transit to another country for burial. In order to issue this certificate the following documents are required:

  • Death Certificate from the Civil Registry.
  • Medical certificate from the attending physician or hospital stating the cause of death.
  • U.S. Passport of the deceased.
  • Honduran Export Permit from the Ministry of Health.
  • Name, address and phone number of the funeral home at final destination.
  • Flight information (Name of airline, date, port of entry, flight number, departure and arrival schedule).
  • A representative from the local funeral home must be present to sign the affidavit of preparation of remains for shipment.

COVID-19 Information:

CDC requirements for importing human remains depend upon if the body has been embalmed, cremated, or if the person died from a quarantinable communicable disease.

At this time, COVID-19 is a quarantinable communicable disease in the United States and the remains must meet the standards for importation found in 42 Code of Federal Regulations Part 71.55 and may be cleared, released, and authorized for entry into the United States only under the following conditions:

  • The remains are cremated; OR
  • The remains are properly embalmed and placed in a hermetically sealed casket; OR
  • The remains are accompanied by a permit issued by the CDC Director. The CDC permit (if applicable) must accompany the human remains at all times during shipment.
  • Permits for the importation of the remains of a person known or suspected to have died from a quarantinable communicable disease may be obtained through the CDC Division of Global Migration and Quarantine by calling the CDC Emergency Operations Center at 770-488-7100 or emailing

Please see CDC’s guidance for additional information.

In the case where an unaccompanied U.S. citizen dies in Honduras, a U.S. Consular Officer may serve as a provisional conservator of the deceased’s estate. As provisional conservator, the Consular Officer will assist family members by taking possession of the personal belongings until the next-of-kin or legal representative instructs Consular Officer on how to proceed with the effects.

Costs will vary depending on the type of disposition, transportation, quality of caskets or containers and memorial service desired. Some of your options are:

  • Preparation and burial in Honduras ranges from US$ 1,000 to US$ 6,000.
  • Embalming and burial in Honduras ranges from US$ 1,500 to US$ 6,500.
  • Embalming and repatriation to the United States ranges from US$ 3,000 to US$ 5,500.
  • Cremation (repatriation of ashes to the United States optional) ranges from US$ 1,300 to US$ 5,500.
  • Issuance of a Report of Death Abroad