Citizenship Services

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section has appointment hours Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., except Honduran and American holidays.  We are also closed to the public on the first Tuesday of every month.  You must have an appointment. Appointments can be made on-line by clicking here.

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met.

As U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.

You may document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

U.S. citizens have the right, if they so choose, to renounce their U.S. citizenship and all associated rights and privileges while they are abroad.

The ACS Unit can assist U.S. citizens who wish to renounce their citizenship, and ensure that they meet all the legal requirements pertaining to a renunciation.

A person wishing to renounce his or her citizenship, must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:

  1. Appear in person before a U.S. consular officer or diplomatic officer
  2. in a foreign country -normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate; and
  3. sign an oath of renunciation.

There are many things to take into consideration before renouncing U.S. citizenship. The ACS Unit strongly recommends reading more about the legal implications of renouncing U.S. citizenship before starting the process.

Please contact the ACS Unit or the Office of Legal Affairs for Overseas Citizen Services at the State Department if you have any additional questions about the process of renunciation of citizenship.