A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship    under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).   

CRBA applications must be done before the child’s 18th birthday.  We recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

Eligibility Requirements

To apply, your child must have been born in Honduras and you must travel to the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa, Honduras or the Consular Agency in San Pedro Sula for the in-person interview.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.

  1. Was the child born in Honduras?
  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit card or a U.S. dollar bank account to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  5. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, please click here for more information.

On the day of your interview, you must submit the required forms and documentation. Failure to follow the instructions may result in delays in processing your application. Please carefully review the information below to avoid multiple trips to the Embassy.

How to Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa or the Consular Agency in San Pedro Sula.  This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

Step 1.  Create a MyTravelGov account.  MyTravelGov is a secure, encrypted portal.  To learn how to create your account, visit MyTravelGov. For more information, check our how-to-guide.

Step 2.  Once you have created a MyTravelGov account, access your electronic CRBA (eCRBA) application, complete it and submit it online.  You may review the necessary documents for the eCRBA application in advance by reviewing the Required Documents tab below.

You will need all of the following:

  • The child’s original Honduran birth certificate and one photocopy.  This document is issued at the Registro Nacional de las Personas (RNP).  The original must be presented at the time of the interview.
  • The child’s original birth registration record, or certified copy of “folio” and one photocopy. This document can be obtained at the RNP.
  • A photo of your child (photo requirements).
  • Parent(s) Passports: The American Citizen parent must present his/her original U.S. passport and one photocopy. Non-U.S. citizen parents must present his/her original passport or original Honduran ID card and one photocopy.
  • Proof of Parents’ Marriage
    • You need to bring your original marriage certificate and a copy. Translation is not necessary for Honduran marriage records. If the marriage certificate is in another language, English translation is necessary.
    • Children born out of Wedlock: Detailed information and requirements for children born out of wedlock can be found here.
  • Proof of Termination of All Prior Marriages of Parents (Divorce Decrees/Death Certificates)
    • If you have prior marriages, we need to see proof of how those marriages ended. Please bring the original and one copy of each document. A translation is needed if the certificate is not in English.
  • Evidence of Biological Parentage.
    • In order to transmit citizenship to your child, you must prove the blood relationship between yourself and the child for whom you are applying.  Acceptable evidence of a blood relationship can include parents’ previous passports (U.S. or Honduran); Honduran Immigration Movement or U.S. CBP entry/exit record; pre-natal and post-natal photos that include the mother, father, and child; pre-natal medical records; and ultrasounds, vaccination cards, and pre-natal check card.
  • Evidence of U.S. Citizen Parent’s Physical Presence in the U.S.
    • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen at the time of the child’s birth, the U.S. citizen parent can transmit U.S. citizenship to the child if he/she was a U.S. citizen when the child was born and if he/she can prove that he/she has been physically present in the U.S. for five years (two of which were after age 14) before the child was born. Acceptable evidence of physical presence can include proof of registration in U.S. public or private schools (such as transcripts), court records, military records, U.S. employment and income records, medical records, W2 forms with SSA statement or other similar documents.  University degrees/diplomas will not be accepted — proof of registration or transcripts are required.
    • If both parents are U.S. citizens at the time of the child’s birth, one parent must prove that they have resided in the U.S. prior to the birth of the child. If the parent was born outside of the United States, the parent must provide evidence of residence, e.g. proof of registration in U.S. public or private schools (such as transcripts), court records, military records, U.S. employment and income records, medical records, W2 forms with SSA statement or other similar documents.

Step 3.  Pay online. eCRBA requires payment using the U.S. government’s official payment site  , a secure online payment system used by many U.S. government agencies. accepts payment in U.S. dollars from a credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover) or U.S. bank account.  If you are unable to pay online, you may make a payment on the day of your appointment.  If you use, do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy.

Step 4.  Schedule your appointment. To schedule an appointment at U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras or Consular Agency in San Pedro Sula, please send an email to The subject line on the e-mail should be “CRBA – CHILD’S SURNAME, Given Name”. Please schedule your appointment at least 5 working days after payment submission. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your interview.

Step 5.  Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents, matching those scanned into the eCRBA portal.  Original documents will be returned to you after review.  The child must be present at the time of application.  Generally, both parents attend the interview.

Step 6.  During your CRBA appointment, you may also apply for your child’s first passport . The payment for a passport should be done at U.S. Embassy.  Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. If one parent/guardian cannot attend the interview with the child, they must show parental consent by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent.”   

Step 7.  You will receive an e-mail confirmation once your documents have arrived at the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa.

Other Important Information
  • After you receive your child’s CRBA and passport, you need to contact the San Jose Federal Benefits Unit to apply for an Social Security Number for your child. Detailed information can be found at our Social Security page.
  • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen at the time of the child’s birth and the U.S. citizen parent is not able to attend the appointment, a notarized Form DS-5507 “Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support” is required as part of the CRBA application.