Location: Honduras, Toncontin International Airport, Tegucigalpa
Event: As of 12:30 PM, demonstrations outside Toncontin International Airport have closed the roads leading into the airport and led to the evacuation of travelers to the military base, located across the runway. Honduran authorities have not yet indicated their plans for restoring normal airport operations or assisting individuals at the airport with further travel arrangements.
U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid travel to the airport for the remainder of May 30, 2019 and to minimize travel through the Friday, May 31, 2019.
The U.S. Embassy remains open as we continue to monitor developments.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local and social media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- If you are scheduled to travel today or awaiting the arrival of passengers, contact the airline for updates.
- Have travel documents up-to-date and easily accessible.
- Report specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) with the U. S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa to receive security updates –https://step.state.gov/
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras:
Telephone: +(504) 2238-5114
After-hours telephone: +(504) 2236-8497
- State Department – Consular Affairs:
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter