Location: Honduras, Tegucigalpa
Event: A football (soccer) game between the rival clubs football clubs Olympia and Motagua, is scheduled to be played today at 8:00pm in the Estadio Nacional in Tegucigalpa. There will be security measures in place to ensure the safety of all attending the game. There will also be road closures around the stadium that will last until the game is over. Traffic will be impacted on roads close to the stadium and along Boulevard Morazán. After the game, fans may celebrate along Boulevard Morazán, with a caravan of vehicles and on-foot celebrations.
There is a history of violence associated with this rivalry, and the U.S. Embassy has advised employees to avoid the National Stadium during the game and Boulevard Morazán afterwards. U.S. citizens are advised to monitor local media and reminded to avoid large gatherings as even peaceful ones can turn violent with little or no notice.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification at all times.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Tel. (504) 2238-5114
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.