Security Alert: Planned Protests Around Tegucigalpa
Event: According to local media reports there are demonstrations planned for Saturday, November 11, 2023, at 9:00 a.m. The demonstrations will most likely attract different political parties and could lead to violent clashes. The Honduran National Police could close some street to restrict vehicle traffic.
The media reports that the Bloque de Oposicion Ciudadana (BOC) demonstration will start at Blvd. Suyapa in front the National University (UNAH) and its destination is unknown. However, the last demonstration held on August 19th marched to the Presidential Palace.
It is expected that traffic will be blocked in several areas and the U.S. Embassy has advised employees to avoid the planned protest routes. A U.S. Embassy event planned for November 11 was postponed in anticipation of increased traffic and potentially blocked roads. U.S. citizens are advised to monitor local media and are reminded to avoid any demonstration, as even peaceful ones can turn violent with little or no notice. U.S. citizens in Honduras are reminded to maintain awareness of their surroundings as the situation may change quickly. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification at all times.
- Have alternative transportation routes in mind.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Tel. (504) 2238-5114
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Enroll in the http://step.state.gov to receive security updates
- Follow us on American Citizen Services – Tegucigalpa | Tegucigalpa | Facebook and Profile / X (twitter.com)