Location: Honduras, Tegucigalpa
Event: Two shooting incidents have recently taken place in or near the “La Embajada” bar in Tegucigalpa. There are also allegations of other illegal activities taking place at the establishment. U.S. personnel and their dependents are prohibited from using the “La Embajada” bar until further notice. U.S. citizens in Honduras should also consider avoiding the establishment.
Actions to Take:
- Consider avoiding “La Embajada” bar in Tegucigalpa.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification at all times.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Stock up on food items and necessities.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Tel. (504) 2238-5114
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.