Location: Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Event: Three shooting incidents have taken place in the last year, in or near the “La Embajada” bar near the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa. There are also allegations of other illegal activities taking place at the establishment. U.S. personnel and their dependents are prohibited from visiting the “La Embajada” bar until further notice. U.S. citizens in Honduras should also consider avoiding the establishment.
Actions to Take:
- Consider avoiding “La Embajada” bar in Tegucigalpa.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification at all times.
- Have alternative transportation routes in mind.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitterpages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Tel. (504) 2238-5114
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.