HEALTH ALERT – U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras (March 27, 2020)
EVENT: Revised Procedures for Travelling to San Pedro Sula Airport During Complete Lockdown in Yoro Department
The Department of Yoro, near San Pedro Sula, is subject to heightened curfew restrictions implemented by the Government of Honduras on March 15, 2020. The U.S. Embassy has been in close contact with the Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Security to resolve this issue.
When U.S. citizens are stopped at a checkpoint in Yoro, they should give their name, show their U.S. passports, and flight itinerary, and they should be allowed to pass through.
If U.S. citizens are still not allowed to pass through the checkpoint, they should report to the Police Station in Yoro (Estación Policial de Yoro) and request a Honduran National Police escort out of the Department.
All travelers in route to airports in Honduras should add several additional hours for their journey to reduce the possibility of missing your flights. For urgent cases, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- U.S. citizens who are present in Honduras should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Enrollment in STEP enables the Embassy’s American Citizen Services unit in Tegucigalpa to reach out directly to U.S. citizens in need of assistance. STEP also allows U.S. citizens to receive Alerts to convey information about security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, and terrorist threats.
- Review the State Department’s Global Level 4 Health Travel Advisory at travel.state.gov
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Monitor local news for updates.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.