HEALTH ALERT – U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras (April 15, 2020)
EVENT: New Commercial Flight Opportunities from San Pedro Sula – Book your seat NOW
The U.S. Embassy has worked with United and Spirit Airlines and the Government of Honduras to secure commercial flights on April 17 – April 19, 2020. These flights could be the last commercial options we have in the weeks ahead.
United Airlines is offering two flights, one departs from Tegucigalpa to Houston, Texas on Friday, April 17, 2020 and the other will depart from San Pedro Sula to Houston on Sunday, April 19, 2020. You should contact United Airlines directly at www.united.com to take advantage of this flight.
Spirit Airlines is offering a flight from San Pedro Sula to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, April 18, 2020. You should contact Spirit Airlines directly at www.spirit.com to take advantage of this flight.
Who can fly on these flights?
- United States Citizens.
- Legal Permanent Residents of the United States.
- Non-Immigrant Visa holders accompanying U.S. citizens, including minor children.
- Immigrant Visa packet holders.
- Unaccompanied Minors (in accordance with United and Spirit Airlines policies).
In light of the increasing strain on Honduran health services, DO NOT WAIT.
Please let the U.S. Embassy know you are traveling so we can update our records.
Our team will provide passenger information to the police manning checkpoints, so that all passengers have safe passage. If you encounter trouble at checkpoints after booking a flight, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa has helped more than 6,000 U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents return to the United States since March 15. We will continue to seek other commercial flight options, but the task will become increasingly challenging with each passing day.
We encourage all U.S. citizens who chose to remain in Honduras to follow curfew rules set out by the government of Honduras and refrain from unduly traveling long distances on roads with potential hazards.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- U.S. citizens who are present in Honduras should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Enrollment in STEP enables the American Citizen Services unit in Tegucigalpa to reach out directly to U.S. citizens in need of assistance. STEP also allows U.S. citizens to receive Alerts to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc.
- Review the State Department’s Global Level 4 Health Travel Advisory at travel.state.gov
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Monitor local news for updates.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.