Location: Honduras, countrywide
Event: Strikes are expected to take place on October 10, 2019 beginning at 6:00 am.
The U.S. Embassy has received information that the Taxi Cab Driver Association of Honduras is calling for a countrywide strike tomorrow, starting at 6:00 am. Negotiations between the taxi association and the Honduran Government are still ongoing. If no agreement is reached tonight, the taxi drivers may block major roads and intersections in the major cities of the country, as they’ve done in the past. This would cause serious traffic issues throughout the major cities in the country, to include Tegucigalpa. Stay tuned to local media for updates to this developing situation.
Actions to Take:
- Plan travel routes accordingly.
- Use caution while transiting Honduras.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local and social media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have travel documents up-to-date and easily accessible.
- Report specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) with the U. S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa to receive security updates – https://step.state.gov/