Location: Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Event: Ongoing demonstrations against the Honduran government.
Because of the ongoing demonstrations in Tegucigalpa, which at times have turned violent, the U.S. Embassy has determined that the previously restricted area in Colonia Kennedy continues to be off-limits for U.S. citizen embassy employees and family members. In past confrontations, police deployed tear gas in response to protests throwing Molotov cocktails, bottle rockets (fireworks), and other projectiles at police.
Additionally, U.S. citizen embassy employees and family members should use caution while transiting through the following areas:
• The exit from Anillo Periferico to Danli
• Blvd. Centroamerica continuing along Blvd. Kennedy
Actions to Take:
- Plan travel routes accordingly and take measures to avoid entering or passing through the area that should be avoided.
- Use caution while transiting through the Anillo Periferico near Blvd. Suyapa, the exit from Anillo Periferico to Danli, and Blvd. Centroamerica continuing along Blvd. Kennedy.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local and social media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have travel documents up-to-date and easily accessible.
- Report specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) with the U. S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa to receive security updates – https://step.state.gov/