Demonstration Alert: Protests on May 19, 2022 Update
Location: Honduras, countrywide
Event: In addition to a protest currently taking place at the Ministry of Health in Tegucigalpa by LIBRE party members, a protest is ongoing by former police officers demanding to be reinstated to the police at the following locations: Highway CA-5 at Tegucigalpa exit to San Pedro Sula, Highway CA-6 at Tegucigalpa exit to Danli, and Highway CA-13 at Choloma, Cortes. Traffic might be affected. U.S. citizens in Honduras are reminded to maintain awareness of their surroundings as the situation may change quickly. These protests may spread or occur in other areas so U.S. citizens are encouraged to monitor local media and events to maintain awareness. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstrations and crowds as well as take proper precautions against the spread of COVID-19. U.S. citizens should also monitor local media for updates.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the Ministry of Health building in Tegucigalpa.
- Avoid Highway CA-5 at Tegucigalpa exit to San Pedro Sula.
- Avoid Highway CA-6 at Tegucigalpa exit to Danli.
- Avoid Highway CA-13 at Choloma, Cortes.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification at all times.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Stock up on food items and necessities.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Tel. (504) 2238-5114
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.