Location: Honduras, countrywide
Event: Protests may take place related to the extradition of Ex-President Juan Orlando Hernandez today, April 21, 2022. Traffic might also be affected. U.S. citizens in Honduras are reminded to maintain awareness of their surroundings as the situation may change quickly. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstrations and crowds as well as take proper precautions against the spread of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification at all times.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Stock up on food items and necessities.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Tel. (504) 2238-5114
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.