Location: Honduras, countrywide
Event: Protests may take place throughout Honduras on May 1, 2022 which is the Honduran Labor Day. Historically on this date, workers’ syndicates perform demonstrations in the main cities of Honduras. These demonstrations tend to affect traffic along their routes. Although normally peaceful, U.S citizens should avoid any demonstration as even peaceful ones can turn violent with little or no notice.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations on May 1, 2022.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification at all times.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Stock up on food items and necessities.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Tel. (504) 2238-5114
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.