Location: Honduras, countrywide
Event: Protests are expected to continue throughout Honduras on Tuesday, April 30 and Wednesday, May 1, 2019. Protestors have closed roads and damaged public spaces and buildings. Recent protests have encountered a strong police presence and the use of tear gas and batons.
U.S. government personnel have been advised to minimize unnecessary travel in Tegucigalpa and around the country.
The U.S. Embassy remains open as we continue to monitor developments.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local and social media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have travel documents up-to-date and easily accessible.
- Report specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) with the U. S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa to receive security updates – step.state.gov
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras:
Telephone: +(504) 2238-5114
After-hours telephone: +(504) 2236-8497
- State Department – Consular Affairs:
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter