Event: Demonstrators are blocking traffic to and from La Paz Avenue. The U.S. Embassy has advised employees to avoid the Embassy at this time. U.S. citizens are advised to monitor local media and are reminded to avoid any demonstration, as even peaceful ones can turn violent with little or no notice. U.S. citizens in Honduras are reminded to maintain awareness of their surroundings as the situation may change quickly. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification at all times.
- Have alternative transportation routes in mind.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Tel. (504) 2238-5114
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Enroll in the http://step.state.gov<http://step.state.gov/> to receive security updates
- Follow us on American Citizen Services – Tegucigalpa | Tegucigalpa | Facebook and Profile / X (twitter.com)