Location: Areas around Tegucigalpa, including La Tigra forest and the zones of Amarateca, El Picacho, El Hatillo, and El Carpintero; Honduras.
Event: A rash of forest fires has affected areas around Tegucigalpa over the past several days. Smoke from the fires has reduced air quality and visibility in and around the capital. There is no impact on embassy operations at this time. Flights arriving and departing Toncontín International Airport have not been affected at this time.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas mentioned above.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) with the U. S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa to receive security updates.
- U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras:
Telephone: (504) 2238-5114
After-hours telephone: (504) 2236-8497
Consular Section fax: (504) 2238-4357
Webpage: U.S. Embassy in Honduras
State Department – Consular Affairs:
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Honduras Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter